Flower, one of the most beautiful mother nature creation that reflects the Human memories of peace, love, joy, happiness, gratitude, etc.… We remember always the first day we share a red flower with our beloved mothers, white flower with friend, and maybe pink one for our sisters.
If you ever visited Tunisia, you will see the young boys in the region of “Sidi Bou Said” that sell Jasmin flower packed together in small crafted bouquet of flower called “MASHMOOM”. Furthermore, in Tunisia the old days, jasmine is the subject of a specific sign language. A man who wears jasmine on his left ear indicates that he is single and in addition, offering white jasmine is seen as a proof of love while on the contrary, offering odorless winter jasmine is a sign of insolence.
However, one aspect of flower that has been ignored over time is the fact that flower could be used part of the daily cuisine. Flower cuisine goes back in time thousands of years to the Greek, Roman and Chinese cultures.
For example in Tunisia you find “Qalat daqqa” (also spelled gâlat dagga), or Tunisian Five Spices, is a spice blend originating from Tunisi made of cloves, nutmeg, cinnamon, peppercorns, and grains of paradise mixed and ground, depending on its use, between a coarse grind and a fine powder. This spice blend is used to as both an aromatic and seasoning for meats and vegetable dishes with mixed flavor of “sweet and warm”.
Today, we explore the flower mixture in cuisine while adding the sweetness of syrup of dates and mushrooms to get the deep fired pumpkin plate.
For the deep-fried pumpkin flower, we need the followings:
- 3 pieces of pumpkin flower:
- For the Frying batter:
- 5 tbsp of baking powder
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp of Salt.
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp mustard seed or old-style mustard.
- 500 ml Water soda
And for data syrup and mushroom sauce, we are going to need:
- Syrup of date
- Mushroom sauce:
- 5 whole pieces mushroom
- 1 cup of milk
- 50g of any hard cheese
- Salt and white pepper for taste
- In a bowl mix all wet ingredients (eggs / mustard seed / water soda) then add the dry ingredients, put the mixture in the fridge for 1 hour.
- After cleaning the pumpkin flowers, dry it and lightly flour each one. pass it through the mixture.
- Heat the oil to 180c and carefully drop the flowers, let lightly brown.
- For the syrup of date and mushroom sauce, cook the mushroom in the milk until soften, add the cheese and blend the mix